- Privacy Notice
- HIPPA Notice
The Privacy Notice Applies to:
- StanCorp Financial Group, Inc.
- Standard Insurance Company
- StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc.
- Standard Retirement Services, Inc.
- The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York
- StanCorp Mortgage Investors, LLC
- StanCorp Real Estate, LLC
- Standard Management, Inc.
- StanCorp Equities, Inc.
Please Direct Inquiries to:
Privacy Notice (C22)
PO Box 711
Portland, OR 97207-0711
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. We are committed to maintaining and protecting its confidentiality. This notice describes how we collect, share and protect your information.
We use your information to provide and administer the products and services you have requested. We also use it for our internal research and analysis. We want you to know that:
- We do not sell or rent the information we have about you to anyone.
- We do not share your information with outside companies for the purpose of selling their products or services to you.
- We only share information about you with others as the law permits or requires.
Information We May Collect and From Whom
We collect your personal information to offer you insurance and financial products and services. The type of information we collect and the extent to which it is used depends on the products and services we provide to you. For example, we may obtain information such as:
- Your name, mailing and email address(es); date of birth, telephone number and Social Security number; your employment history and education; and your assets and income from applications and other forms from you, your employer and others
- Your policy coverage and claims
- Your premiums and payment history from your dealings with us
- Your credit and financial history from other insurance companies, insurance support organizations and consumer reporting agencies that you authorize
- Your medical history including records from medical providers and related entities, third party administrators, insurance support organizations and consumer reporting agencies that you authorize
Information We May Disclose
We may share the types of information described above with others. These disclosures are only made as authorized by you, or as permitted or required by law. For example, disclosures may be made to:
- Agents or brokers who provide our products and services to you
- Service providers who perform business services or functions on our behalf or to serve you
- Employers and their representatives
- Reinsurers, other insurance companies and insurance support organizations for purposes related to insurance and services you may have or apply for
- Others who may have a joint marketing agreement with us, unless state law restricts such use
- Insurance departments or other legal authorities in connection with the regulation of our business or to comply with laws and regulations
- Law enforcement agencies to help prevent fraud or illegal activities
- Authorized persons in response to a subpoena, warrant or other court order
- Others in order to comply with auditing and reporting requirements
- Our affiliates who may provide insurance or financial products and services to you
When information about you is disclosed to others, we expect them to: (a) protect your information; and (b) use the information only for the limited purpose for which it was shared.
We want to make sure that we have accurate information about you. In general, you have the right to review your personal information that we have. You must make your request in writing and provide us with: your full name, your address and your telephone number. If you believe information we have about you is not accurate, you may tell us; and you may inform us in writing of any changes you believe should be made. We will review your request and respond to it accordingly.
Confidentiality and Security
We protect your personal information by:
- Training our employees to safeguard your information
- Restricting access to those employees who need it to provide products or services to you
- Using physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that protect your information from misuse
- Contractually requiring service providers to secure your information in accordance with state and federal laws
View a printer version of the Privacy Notice (PDF; 49 KB).
We understand that today, maybe more than ever before, protecting your privacy is important to you. It's important to us too.
The Privacy Rule under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) provides you with certain rights and states our responsibilities, as your Dental or Vision insurance provider, to protect the dental and vision health information we maintain about you. For details about your rights under the HIPAA Privacy Rule, including how to act on these rights, please review the HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices.
Health Information We May Have About You Covered by HIPAA
- Your dental or vision health records
- Your dental or vision billing information
StanCorp Mortgage Investors California customers can exercise their rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act. Contact us for details about personal information collected and shared.
The Standard is committed to maintaining and protecting the confidentiality of your personal information. This CCPA/CPRA policy applies to customers of StanCorp Mortgage Investors, LLC who reside in the State of California. It explains how we obtain, use and disclose personal information and what are your privacy rights to your personal information under the CCPA/CPRA.
This CCPA/CPRA policy does not apply to personal information covered by other California privacy laws such as the California Financial Information Privacy Act, and federal privacy laws such as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. To understand your privacy rights and how The Standard uses and discloses personal information under these other laws, please review The Standard’s Privacy Notice and HIPAA Notice, which can be accessed at standard.com/about-standard/legal-privacy.
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device. Within the last 12 months, we may have collected the following categories of personal information either directly or indirectly from our customers or their agents or from third parties that interact with us:
|Category||Examples of Personal Information Collected||Collected|
|A. Identifiers||Name, alias, postal address, Social Security number||YES|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records Statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))||Name, signature, Social Security number, address, telephone number, driver’s license or state identification card number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number or any other financial information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.||YES|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law||Age (40 years or older), national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, veteran or military status||YES|
|D. Commercial information||Records of personal property||YES|
|E. Biometric information||NO|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity||NO|
|G. Geolocation data||NO|
|H. Sensory data||Voice recordings from voicemail or other recorded calls||YES|
|I. Professional or employment-related information||Current or past job history||YES|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act) (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. PART 99)||NO|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information||NO|
|L. Sensitive personal information||Government-issued identifying numbers (e.g., driver’s license, passport or SSN); financial account details that allow access to an account, such as bank account number; and contents of user’s mail, email or text messages. We also may receive genetic data, precise geolocation, race/ethnicity, and religious/philosophical beliefs, biometric data, health data or sexual orientation.||YES|
Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of these business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to request a quote or ask a question about our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order or governmental regulations.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us is among the assets transferred.
- For any other purpose allowed by law.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party to perform business services on our behalf. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter into a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the identified services under the contract. We may also disclose your personal information to business partners, including affiliates, loan servicers and investors, to perform services for you pursuant to a written contract for business purposes. We do not share your personal information as defined under Cal. Civ. Cd. 1798.140(ah). For further information on how your personal information may be shared, see standard.com/about-standard/legal-privacy.
In the preceding 12 months, we may have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers
Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories
Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law
Category D: Commercial information
Category I: Professional or employment-related information
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to these third parties:
- Our affiliates and business partners who take part in the services we offer
- Service providers
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you
In the preceding 12 months, we have not sold any personal information.
- Provide you agreed-to services and products
- Support our operations
- Improve our products
- Meet legal, regulatory and statutory obligations
- Secure our systems and ensure business continuity
California Rights and Choices
The CCPA and CPRA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes CCPA/CPRA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Our Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information
The only sensitive personal information we collect from you is necessary to perform the services you requested. We also may periodically receive unsolicited information from you that includes sensitive personal information; we make no further use or disclosure of that unsolicited information. If you have questions about sensitive personal information, please see our Exercising Limitation, Access, Rectification, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights to contact us.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, a list of the disclosures made identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Correct/Rectify Personal Information
You have the right to rectify (correct, update or modify) the personal information we collect about you. After making such a request, we will take commercially reasonable efforts to correct inaccurate personal information within 45 days of receiving the request. In the event an extension is needed, we may take an additional 45 days when reasonably necessary. In this case, we will provide you a notice of extension within the first 45-day period.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, specifically if you previously provided informed consent and deleting that information may seriously impair or render impossible the research’s achievement.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of personal information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Limitation of Sensitive Personal Information, Access, Rectification, Data Portability and Deletion Rights
To exercise the limitation, access, rectification, data portability and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at 833.240.6610
- Visiting standard.com
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We will try our best to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the receipt of the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another and should allow you to further transmit information if you desire.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive or unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA/CPRA rights. Based solely on the exercise of your CCPA/CPRA rights, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services
Changes to Our CCPA Policy
We reserve the right to amend this CCPA/CPRA Policy at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this CCPA/CPRA Policy, we will notify you by email or through a notice on our website homepage.
If you are a customer of StanCorp Mortgage Investors, LLC, and have questions or comments about this CCPA/CPRA policy or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us.
View a printer version of the SMI CCPA/CPRA Policy.
StanCorp Financial Group, Inc.
StanCorp Financial Group, Inc., through its wholly owned subsidiaries, is a leading provider of employee benefits products and services, and other financial products and services. Insurance products are offered by Standard Insurance Company of Portland, Oregon, in all states except New York, where insurance products are offered by The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York of White Plains, New York. StanCorp Equities, Inc., member FINRA, provides certain regulatory and other support services in connection with the distribution of group annuity contracts and other financial products issued by Standard Insurance Company. Third-party administrative services are provided by Standard Retirement Services, Inc., of Portland, Oregon. Investment advisory services are offered through StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., of Portland, Oregon. Product features and availability vary by state and company and are solely the responsibility of each subsidiary. Commercial real estate loans are originated, underwritten and serviced by StanCorp Mortgage Investors, LLC, and a network of commercial mortgage banking correspondents.
Purpose and Scope of the Site
The materials contained in the Site, both text and graphics, are presented for informational purposes only. Nothing on the Site is intended as, nor should it be construed as, an offer to sell or an invitation to buy any product or service currently offered by StanCorp Financial, or any of its subsidiaries. None of the information provided through this Site should be construed as accounting, investment, legal or tax advice. Your use of any information or materials on this Site is entirely at your own risk, and you assume all liability for such use.
License to Use the Site
Certain parts of the Site are protected by passwords or require a login and are restricted to authorized users only. You may not obtain unauthorized access to such parts of the Site, or to any other protected materials or information, through any means not intentionally made available for your specific use. If you have a password and/or login for access to non-public areas of the Site, you are solely responsible for all activities that occur in connection with your account. Accordingly, you should take all reasonable steps to protect the confidentiality of your password and/or login. Notify us immediately if you become aware of or suspect any disclosure, loss, theft or unauthorized use of your password and/or login, or of any unauthorized transactions or suspicious activities in your account.
Service Marks and Marketing Names
The Standard®, The Standard® flag logo and The Standard brandmark® are registered trademarks of StanCorp Financial. Unless otherwise indicated, those and other trademarks, service marks and trade names that appear on this Site are owned by and proprietary to StanCorp Financial or its subsidiaries. StanCorp Financial and its subsidiaries use these marks to differentiate themselves and their products and services from their competitors and vigorously enforce their intellectual property rights. The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York has been granted permission to use and uses "The Standard" as a marketing name and the flag logo and brandmark in association with its marketing activities and the services it provides.
Copyright and Trademarks
The design, layout, look, appearance, content, slogans, logos, photography and graphics contained on this Site are copyrighted materials owned by StanCorp Financial or its subsidiaries, or trademarks or service marks of StanCorp Financial and its subsidiaries. You may not download, post, transmit, modify or distribute any material on this Site without the express written consent of StanCorp Financial. You may not create a hyperlink to this Site that uses any logo, graphic, slogan or other protected mark found herein without the express written consent of StanCorp Financial. Unauthorized use of protected material could result in forfeiture of the violator’s profits obtained as a result of the unauthorized use as well as the payment of other damages and fees.
Disclaimer of Warranties and Damages
ACCESS TO AND USE OF THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. STANCORP FINANCIAL AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES DO NOT WARRANT THAT SUCH ACCESS AND USE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED.
BECAUSE THE INTERNET IS AN UNSECURED PUBLIC INFORMATION NETWORK, WE CANNOT AND DO NOT GUARANTEE (EXCEPT AS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW) THE SECURITY, CONFIDENTIALITY, TIMELINESS OR COMPLETENESS OF THE TRANSMISSION OF ANY DATA THROUGH THE SITE OVER THE INTERNET. SYSTEM RESPONSE AND ACCOUNT ACCESS TIMES MAY VARY DUE TO A VARIETY OF FACTORS, INCLUDING TRADING VOLUMES, MARKET CONDITIONS, SYSTEM PERFORMANCE, AND OTHER FACTORS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS THAT YOU MAY SUFFER DUE TO ANY DELAYS IN THE TRANSMISSION OR PROCESSING OF ANY TRANSACTION YOU SUBMIT THROUGH THE SITE. FURTHERMORE, WE CANNOT AND DO NOT GUARANTEE THE COMPLETENESS OR ACCURACY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM THIS SITE OR ITS APPLICABILITY TO YOUR UNIQUE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR NEEDS. SOME OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE SITE HAVE BEEN PROVIDED BY THIRD PARTIES UNAFFILIATED WITH US. EVEN THOUGH THE INFORMATION IS BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, WE HAVE NOT AND DO NOT UNDERTAKE ANY OBLIGATION TO CONFIRM SUCH INFORMATION’S ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR TIMELINESS. AS SUCH, THE INFORMATION CONTAINED ON EACH SITE, WHETHER CREATED BY US OR A THIRD PARTY, IS MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU WITHOUT EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. THE INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED AS, NOR SHOULD IT BE CONSTRUED AS, LEGAL OR PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. BEFORE OPENING AN ACCOUNT, PURCHASING A PRODUCT OR SERVICE, OR INVESTING, CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL, INSURANCE, LEGAL, AND/OR TAX ADVISOR FOR GUIDANCE ON YOUR PERSONAL SITUATION. YOU SHOULD ALSO CAREFULLY REVIEW ANY PRODUCT POLICY, CONTRACT, PROSPECTUS OR OFFERING DOCUMENT ALONG WITH ANY APPLICABLE SERVICE OR ACCOUNT AGREEMENT BEFORE OPENING AN ACCOUNT, PURCHASING A PRODUCT OR SERVICE, OR INVESTING. IN NO EVENT WILL WE OR ANY THIRD PARTY BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY DEFECT IN OR USE OF THIS SITE.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REVISE OR CHANGE THE TERMS OR DESCRIPTIONS CONTAINED IN THIS SITE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
Privacy: Online Tracking and Advertising; Cookies
This Site uses third parties to track usage activity of the Site. This information collected does not contain Personally Identifiable Information.
In addition to basic analytics software, this Site may also use remarketing, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, and Google Demographics and Interest Reporting from the data obtained through analytics software. We use Remarketing with Google Analytics to advertise online. Third-party vendors, including Google, may show our ads on websites across the internet.
By using Google Analytics software, we are able to obtain third-party audience data. We use this data to make improvements to our Site and may also utilize Google’s interest-based advertising. StanCorp Financial and third-party vendors, including Google, use first and third-party cookies together to report how our ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to our Site.
Using Google’s Ad Settings, visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads.
We also use other marketing partners (e.g., Triblio) to assist us with optimizing our website and services and providing analytics supporting our marketing. These parties do not collect Personal Information.
Links to other internet websites and third-party investment information are included on the Site solely as a convenience to our customers, agents, and the general public. Unless otherwise stated in this Site, StanCorp Financial and its corporate subsidiaries do not control, endorse, promote or have any affiliation with any other website. We have not and will not independently verify the content of such information. We do not assume any responsibility for the content or presentation of any linked website, and make no representation as to the completeness or accuracy of the disclosure materials of any investment option or information replicated from such external materials, other than those offered by The Standard.
StanCorp Financial cannot and does not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from this Site are free of viruses, worms, Trojan horses or other code that has contaminating or destructive properties. StanCorp Financial does not make any express or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever (including without limitation warranties of title, noninfringement or fitness for a particular purpose) with respect to the files available for downloading from this Site. In no event will StanCorp Financial be liable to you or to anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance on results obtained from use of files downloaded from this Site.
Market Data and Personal Savings Center Use
Financial market data is provided by third-party service providers.
As mentioned above, we do not warrant that the operation of the Site will be uninterrupted or entirely error-free. For example, due to service connectivity or internet connection difficulties the Site may, from time to time, be subject to delay, error or failure, with results that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- an inability for you to select contribution amounts or asset allocations;
- the services delivering inaccurate information including investment information;
- delay in receipt of information by us from your device or from us to your device;
- a failure of your device to receive any messages from us; or
- you erroneously believing that you have made a change to your account when our records show that we have not received a change request from you.
You agree that you will not attempt to hold us liable for any damages related to any of the above issues or any other related issues.
It is possible that a wireless connection or function may not be available when using the Site or may be interrupted, or that a feature can be disabled, when attempting to conduct a transaction. Should this happen, review your transaction history to verify the status of the transaction when you return to an area with wireless coverage or have access to a computer, or contact a representative by telephone.
We may terminate your access to the Site for any reason, without prior notice.
If a court of competent jurisdiction deems any provision unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible, and the remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect.
Changes to the Site
Unless otherwise agreed, we may discontinue or modify the Site at any time without prior notice to you, and you accept those modifications if you continue to use the Site.
For more information about this page, or to request permission for a hyperlink to or from the website, please contact Community Relations