A Commitment to Sustainability
At The Standard, we believe healthy environments create strong, vibrant communities, and our sustainable practices hold fast to this vision.
- Every year, The Standard purchases Clean Wind renewable power, avoiding more than 5 million pounds of carbon emissions. This equates to about 5,721,885 car miles not driven or 308,364 trees planted.
- Our Tanasbourne campus in Hillsboro, Ore., is entirely powered by Clean Wind renewable energy and solar panels, while our downtown Portland, Ore., offices receive 25 percent of their electricity through Clean Wind.
- Our Power Down campaign encourages employees to turn off computers and task lights at the end of the business day – a simple way to reduce the amount of energy we use.
- Our newest building on the Tanasbourne campus is LEED Gold certified by the U.S. Green Building Council and is 34 percent more efficient than a conventional building. Learn more (PDF 1.8 MB)
- Our downtown Portland Standard Plaza building is also LEED Gold certified and is Energy Star rated by the Environmental Protection Agency. Its high energy efficiency reduces annual electricity consumption by nearly 500,000 kWh.
- We encourage employees to use alternatives to printing when possible (like printing to PDF).
- All of our printer and copier paper comes from 100 percent recycled content.
- In an effort to save paper and energy, we offer policy holders electronic delivery for contracts, certifications and forms.
- Recycling bins are provided for all recyclable materials throughout our buildings.
- Fluorescent tubes from all of our lighting fixtures are recycled through an ISO 14000 certified recycler to prevent hazardous metals from polluting landfills.
- Nearly 60 percent of home office employees use company-subsidized public transit, reducing traffic congestion and tailpipe emissions.
- We partner with Zipcar to provide on-demand access to fuel-efficient cars for both business and personal use. All employees are eligible for discounted annual memberships and discounted hourly rates.
- Secured and covered bicycle racks, showers and lockers are provided at our corporate headquarter offices to make bicycle commuting convenient for employees.
- Our Green Team and Sustainability Steering Committee comprise 100 company-supported employees who work to reduce our environmental impact. The groups sponsor discussion courses through Northwest Earth Institute, host educational luncheons and much more.
Sustainable practices help ensure a better future for everyone. We acknowledge our responsibility in helping create that future and will continue seeking opportunities to reduce our ecological footprint.