Apply within 180 days to Get CTA-endorsed Disability and Life Insurance
More than 76,0001 of your peers know how good it feels to have taken steps to protect their incomes, families and way of life with Disability and Life Insurance coverage designed specifically for educators like you.
This is your chance to join them. But you need to act quickly – this exclusive enrollment opportunity ends 180 days after you started working. Here’s what this enrollment opportunity offers you:
- Disability Insurance designed specifically to meet the coverage needs of California educators.
- Up to $200,000 of Life Insurance2 for yourself.
- Optional Life Insurance coverage for your spouse / domestic partner.
For costs and further details of the coverage offered by Standard Insurance Company, including the exclusions, any reductions, benefit waiting periods or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please view the sample Disability Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description for educators or Life Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description.
Act Now Before Time Runs Out!
Remember, you must apply within 180 days of starting work to take advantage of this special enrollment opportunity.
1 Based on figures developed by Standard Insurance Company as of 3/31/2016
2 Coverage reduces to 65% of the amount in force at age 70, 45% of the amount in force at age 75 and 30% of the amount in force at age 80. Offer not available to retirees.
GP 190-LTD/S399/CTA.1 GP 190-LIFE/S399/CTA.3
Protect Your Paycheck with Disability Insurance
Disability benefits can help with the everyday bills, like your mortgage and utilities that continue even when you can't work – expenses that health insurance won't cover.
Not all school districts provide disability insurance to their employees, and members aren’t always eligible for California’s state disability insurance program. This means you may be left with only sick leave to protect you if you are unable to work due to disability.
The CTA-endorsed Disability Insurance plan was specifically designed to help fill the gaps in coverage that many educators face. And because this plan is offered by CTA, you can trust that it provides member advocacy protections that other plans can’t match.
Here are some highlights of the CTA-endorsed coverage provided by The Standard:
- Pays up to 75% of your regular daily contract salary lost due to disability, subject to any benefit waiting period and reduced by deductible income.3
- Covers disabilities that occur on or off the job.
- Covers extra-duty pay such as coaching or tutoring.4
Let’s say you become disabled due to a work-related injury or illness and you earn a daily contract salary of $400. Here’s how your disability benefit would work: $400 times your disability benefit rate of 75% is an unreduced maximum benefit of $300 per workday. Subtract your workers’ compensation benefit of $70 per workday and your salary continuation benefit of $30 per workday to get a $200 disability benefit per workday.
That $200 per workday is yours to use as you see fit – just like your salary. Use it to pay bills, buy groceries or whatever else you and your family need.
Note: If you are considering switching your disability insurance coverage from another carrier to the CTA-endorsed plan, be sure you understand any differences between the plans' terms, exclusions and benefits and how they could apply to your personal situation.
For costs and further details of the coverage offered by Standard Insurance Company, including the exclusions, any reductions, benefit waiting periods or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please view the sample Disability Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description for educators.
3 Examples of deductible income for Disability Insurance include: personal leave pay, severance pay, substitute differential pay, catastrophic/extraordinary leave bank, salary continuation, workers' compensation, work earnings, Social Security, state disability, and calPERS/calSTRS benefits. Contact The Standard for a full list.
4 For the first two benefit years only
GP 190-LTD/S399/CTA.1 GP 190-LIFE/S399/CTA.3
Protect Your Loved Ones with Life Insurance
Life Insurance is a key part of any financial plan. CTA-endorsed Life Insurance from The Standard gives you assurance that your family will receive some financial assistance in the event of a death. But coverage under the CTA-endorsed Life policy does more than help protect your family from financial hardship after a loss. Insured participants have access to the Life Services Toolkit and Travel Assistance program, which offer additional services that can make a difference now and in the future.
Here are some highlights of the CTA-endorsed coverage offered by The Standard:
- Up to $200,000 of Term Life Insurance if you apply within 180 days of starting work.
- Matching Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) benefits.
- Optional Life and AD&D coverage for your spouse/domestic partner and children with your Life Insurance.
- Life Services Toolkit – Online tools and services can help insured members create a will, make advance funeral plans and put finances in order. After a loss, beneficiaries can consult experts by phone or in person, and obtain other helpful information online.1
- Travel Assistance provides insured members and their families access to a comprehensive range of professional, 24-hour medical, legal and trip assistance information, as well as referral and coordination services. This worldwide assistance service is available to plan participants whenever they are traveling 100 miles or more from home or when traveling in a foreign country for trips up to 180 days.2
For costs and further details of the coverage offered by Standard Insurance Company, including the exclusions, any reductions, benefit waiting periods or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please view the sample Life Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description.
1 The Life Services Toolkit is provided through an arrangement with Bensinger, DuPont & Associates (BDA) and is not affiliated with The Standard. BDA is solely responsible for providing and administering the included service. This service is not an insurance product. The Life Services Toolkit is not available to Life insurance beneficiaries who are minors or to non-individual entities such as trusts, estates or charities.
2 Travel Assistance is not insurance. Services are provided through an arrangement with UnitedHealthcare Global, the marketing name for FrontierMEDEX, Inc. Consult the UnitedHealthcare Global Travel Assistance program description for complete terms, conditions and limitations. For a copy of the program description call The Standard’s dedicated CTA Customer Service Department at 800.522.0406.
GP 190-LTD/S399/CTA.1, GP 190-LIFE/S399/CTA.3