Short duration disabilities are more common than long term disabilities and can be very costly to employers both in lost productivity and actual expenses, especially if you currently have a salary continuance plan for short-term absences. Short Term Disability insurance from The Standard mitigates that expense by replacing a portion of employee income lost due to a covered physical disease, injury, pregnancy or mental disorder.
Standard Insurance Company offers New Jersey Temporary Disability Benefits (TDB) plans and The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York offers New York Disability Benefits Law (DBL) plans.
These insurance plans provide a temporary, weekly benefit to employees who are unable to perform the regular duties of their employment due to a sickness, pregnancy, mental disorder or an off-the-job, accidental injury. The plans meet the minimum requirements of the applicable statutory disability benefits law.
Claims Management Services
Our experienced case management team provides early screening, assesses disability duration and identifies return-to-work opportunities. As a result, your employees may return to work sooner.
Administration Options For The Self-Insured
If you self-insure your own STD plan, we can offer you one of three administration options, taking the headache out of the paperwork associated with each disability.
These are available to employer groups of at least 250 employees also covered by our Long Term Disability insurance and provide the same claims management expertise and service that our fully-insured customers receive.
- Administrative Services Only: The Standard manages, calculates and issues checks for all approved claims.
- Advice To Pay: The Standard manages claims, calculates benefits and advises the plan sponsor how much to pay and for how long. Employers may choose to calculate benefit amounts themselves.
- Select Claim: Employers choose which claims they want The Standard to manage and which they wish to handle themselves.
Flexible Provisions And Options
STD insurance is a great way to supplement your current sick leave or statutory disability benefits plan while minimizing your own out-of-pocket expense.
Our plan features Include:
- Up to 70 percent salary replacement for employer-paid plans
- Maximum benefit amount up to $5,000 per week
- Maximum benefit duration up to 52 weeks
- Benefit waiting periods starting at zero days for accidents and three days for illnesses and pregnancies
- Choice of non-occupational or 24-hour coverage
- Performance Guarantee for groups with at least 1,000 insured employees
- AdminEASESM claims reports service available
Optional coverage items are:
- First Day Hospital Benefit
- Daily Hospital Benefit
- FICA Payment and W-2 Preparation
Education and Enrollment
Our products can help provide employees with the peace of mind that they're doing everything they can to protect themselves and their families. But the success of a benefits package hinges on the education and enrollment support behind it.
Targeted Enrollment Approach
The Standard will work with you to develop tailored enrollment strategies for your benefits program. The goal: An effective communication campaign that helps address your corporate culture and any enrollment problems you're looking to solve.
A comprehensive enrollment campaign features materials that help employees understand and better appreciate their benefits options:
- Customized enrollment campaign materials
- Personalized enrollment forms and booklets
- Online benefits education tools and materials
We can also provide:
- Integration with benefits administration platforms
- Online enrollment system and solutions
- Support for on-site benefits education
- Group meetings
- One-on-one enrollment
The Standard offers several easy-to-use methods to submit a claim. The quickest way to submit a claim or a notification of death is to log on to www.standard.com and follow the step-by-step interactive process.
Simplified administration (AdminEASESM) is what you'll experience when you select The Standard as your one partner for virtually all your employee benefit needs beyond the medical plan.
It all centers on our processes and administration systems. They make it easy for you to manage your benefits, reconcile bills and add or remove members.
Billing is also simplified. With one bill you can make one payment for Life, AD&D, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Accident, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity.
Plus, you'll have the convenience of online features, including:
- Bill payment
- Member maintenance
- Policy documents
- Life and Disability medical evidence and claims reports
- Employer disability claim statement
- Claims submission1
1 Not available for Dental or Vision insurance.