When faced with a disability, most people have to turn to sick leave, personal savings, Social Security or possibly Worker's Compensation to help them replace their lost income.
Disability protection from The Standard can help your employees by supplementing other sources of income and providing assistance and even incentives to return to work as soon as possible.
Your employees benefit because our policies help protect them financially from disabilities resulting from a covered physical disease, injury, pregnancy or mental disorder, As an employer, you benefit by providing a highly valued benefit that will help you attract and retain high-caliber employees.
Our flexible plan design and claims management expertise all come to you at competitive group rates.
The Standard offers Voluntary LTD plans so employees can decide what works best for them. The Standard provides enrollment and product materials that help employers communicate the value of voluntary coverage to their employees.
Claims Management Services
The hard work in disability insurance comes when a claim occurs. Your employees need their benefits paid accurately and promptly and you're interested in getting that employee back to work as soon as feasibly possible.
The Standard's claims management services know this so we work hard to promote and enable the return of disabled employees to a productive life whenever possible. A knowledgeable team of benefits analysts, vocational case managers and nurse case managers provides early screening, assesses disability duration and identifies return-to-work opportunities. As a result, disabled employees may return to work sooner, and employers regain their valuable employees and contain disability claims costs.
LTD Insurance Features
- Up to 70% salary replacement
- Maximum monthly benefit amount up to $25,000
- Benefit waiting periods ranging from 0 day to two years
- Definitions of disability covering the employee's own occupation, any occupation and "zero-day" partial disability
- Variable plan designs: one, two, three, five-year and to age 65 own occupation periods
- "Own Specialty" definition of disability for physicians, attorneys and dentists
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) included for groups with 10 – 2,499 covered lives1
Additional Cost Options
- Assisted Living Benefit: increases the salary replacement level up to 80 or 100 percent of insured predisability earnings (up to a maximum benefit amount)2
- Housing Assistance Benefit: provides an additional 25 percent of predisability earnings to pay for rent or mortgage (up to a maximum benefit amount)2
- Lifetime Security Benefit: extends the maximum benefit period to the severely disabled employee's lifetime2
- Medical Expense Benefit: provides an additional flat monthly benefit for a specified maximum benefit period to help cover medical or other expenses incurred by disabled employees
Special Services Available
- AdminEASESM: provides access to claim status, payment and experience data
Return To Work
Our LTD plans include a number of features that help and encourage employees to return to work.
- Rehabilitation plan provision: Pays some or all expenses incurred by employees for approved training and education; family care; and job search and other job-related expenses that support a return to work.
- Reasonable accommodation expense benefit: Reimburses employers up to $25,000 for approved worksite modifications that are made on behalf of a disabled employee and enable the employee to return to work.
- Return to work incentive: Provides employees with an incentive to return to work by enabling them to earn up to 100 percent of their pre-disability income through a combination of monthly benefits and work earnings during the first 12 (or optional 24) months after returning to work.
- Return to work responsibility: Establishes a clear expectation for partially disabled employees to return to work if they can earn at least 20 percent of indexed pre-disability earnings.
- Temporary recovery: Allows employees who suffer a relapse and become disabled again from the same cause or causes to reopen their claims without serving a new benefit waiting period.
1 Groups with more than 2,499 employees have the option to add EAP to their coverage.
2 Not available in California.
- Workplace PossibilitiesSM Program
- Absence Management
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Advocacy Solution
Education and Enrollment
Our products can help provide employees with the peace of mind that they're doing everything they can to protect themselves and their families. But the success of a benefits package hinges on the education and enrollment support behind it.
Targeted Enrollment Approach
The Standard will work with you to develop tailored enrollment strategies for your benefits program. The goal: An effective communication campaign that helps address your corporate culture and any enrollment problems you're looking to solve.
A comprehensive enrollment campaign features materials that help employees understand and better appreciate their benefits options:
- Customized enrollment campaign materials
- Personalized enrollment forms and booklets
- Online benefits education tools and materials
We can also provide:
- Integration with benefits administration platforms
- Online enrollment system and solutions
- Support for on-site benefits education
- Group meetings
- One-on-one enrollment
The Standard offers several easy-to-use methods to submit a claim. The quickest way to submit a claim or a notification of death is to log on to www.standard.com and follow the step-by-step interactive process.
Simplified administration (AdminEASESM) is what you'll experience when you select The Standard as your one partner for virtually all your employee benefit needs beyond the medical plan.
It all centers on our processes and administration systems. They make it easy for you to manage your benefits, reconcile bills and add or remove members.
Billing is also simplified. With one bill you can make one payment for Life, AD&D, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Accident, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity.
Plus, you'll have the convenience of online features, including:
- Bill payment
- Member maintenance
- Policy documents
- Life and Disability medical evidence and claims reports
- Employer disability claim statement
- Claims submission3
3 Not available for Dental or Vision insurance.