Special Enrollment Opportunities
By completing this form, you can request The Standard's presence at your new hire event or order new hire materials (digital or printed) for the new educators in your association.
Special Enrollment Opportunities
Your members can apply for coverage at any time by filling out an enrollment form and medical history statement. The forms are available on The Standard's Member Service Center site. In addition, we offer a number of special enrollment opportunities for members to apply for coverage without answering any health questions. They include:
- For Newly Hired Educators: Newly hired educators who missed the opportunity for CTA Introductory Disability insurance can apply for CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability coverage with no health questions asked within 270 days of starting work. Additionally, all eligible newly hired educators can apply for up to $200,000 of CTA-endorsed Life Insurance without answering health questions when applying within 270 day of starting work.
- For Members Changing Districts: Members who changed school districts and apply within 270 days of starting work have the opportunity to continue their existing coverage or they can apply for Disability or Life Insurance under the new employment opportunity described above.
- For Members making big life changes: CTA members who experience a change in family status, such as getting married or having a child, have 60 days following a qualifying event to apply for Disability and/or Life Insurance.
- Special Enrollment Campaign: A special enrollment campaign is a great way to give all eligible members of your association a chance to enroll in Disability and Life Insurance. All campaigns start on either the 1st or 15th of the month and typically last for 30 days.
Get more details about these special enrollment opportunities on the tabs above and feel free to share this information with your chapter members.
To learn about how insurance effective dates are determined for different enrollment opportunities, click here.
CTA Introductory Disability Insurance for Newly Hired CTA Members
CTA is always looking for ways to increase the value of CTA membership, especially in these uncertain times. That’s why we are proud to announce that CTA now provides newly hired educators with nine months of CTA Introductory Disability insurance from The Standard, at no cost, when they join CTA for the first time within 90 days of their first day of work.1
This important benefit can help protect your new educators’ paychecks if they are unable to work due to illness, injury, pregnancy or childbirth.
Newly hired CTA members are automatically enrolled
Once newly hired educators become CTA members, they will be automatically enrolled in CTA Introductory Disability insurance. Their insurance coverage will remain in effect for 9 months. At the end of 9 months, members will have the option to convert their CTA Introductory Disability insurance plan to CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance plan without having to answer health questions.
How you can help your newly hired educators
All your new educators need to do is apply for CTA membership within 90 days of their first day of work. So spread the word! Please share this important information with your new educators to help them take advantage of this valuable benefit, provided at no cost to them.
To learn about the new CTA Introductory Disability insurance, including eligibility requirements, and how this coverage can help your newly hired educators, join one of our upcoming webinars for chapter leaders:
- Webinar with Sophie Imbuelten - View recording
- Webinar with Yvette Steptoe - View recording
- Webinar with Suzanne Reilly - View recording
- Webinar with Josh Hayes - August 26 at 4 pm - Register
- Webinar with Theresa Vaughn - View recording
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What’s the difference between CTA Introductory Disability insurance and CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance?
A: CTA Introductory Disability insurance has the same features and benefits as the CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance. The difference between the two plans is that CTA Introductory Disability insurance is provided at no cost to newly hired educators by CTA when they become a CTA member for the first time within 90 days of starting work. Members who choose to convert their coverage to CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance will start paying premiums after their CTA Introductory period ends.
Q: What is the enrollment site for New Hires and District Transfers?
A: Members can learn more at standard.com/cta/newhire.
Q: When will eligible members’ coverage under CTA Introductory Disability insurance take effect?
A: For newly hired educators who become CTA members within their first 90 days of work, CTA Introductory Disability insurance coverage will take effect on the later of:
- Their first day of work or
- The date they sign their CTA membership application
Q: When will eligible members’ coverage under CTA Introductory Disability insurance end?
A: CTA Introductory Disability insurance will end on the last day of the ninth month after coverage begins.
- For example: If the member’s first day of work is August 15, 2020 and they sign their CTA membership application on September 15, 2020, their CTA Introductory Disability insurance will become effective on September 15, 2020 and end on June 30, 2021.
Q: How can members continue to be enrolled in Disability insurance after the CTA Introductory Disability insurance ends?
A: Members may convert coverage under the CTA Introductory Disability insurance plan to coverage under the CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance plan without answering health questions if they do so before their coverage ends.
- Members may complete an enrollment application to convert their coverage under the CTA Introductory Disability insurance plan to coverage under the CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance plan at any time before their coverage ends.
- When members complete an enrollment application for CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance coverage before their CTA Introductory Disability insurance coverage ends, they will have no gaps in coverage and their CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance coverage will begin on the first day of the month after their CTA Introductory Disability insurance coverage ends.
Q: If a member chooses to convert their coverage to the CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance plan when will premiums begin?
A: The Standard will notify the member’s district to begin premium deductions when their coverage under CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance begins.
Q: If a member does not want coverage under the CTA Introductory Disability insurance plan, how can they cancel their coverage?
A: If a member wishes to decline coverage under the CTA Introductory Disability insurance plan, they may contact The Standard at 800.522.0406 (TTY), 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Friday; or by email CTA.Opt.Out@standard.com. A customized waiver packet will be sent to them that must be signed, notarized, and sent back to The Standard. Once the notarized packet has been received, The Standard will sign and send a copy back to you and to CTA.
Q: How can members get a copy of their Certificate of insurance for CTA Introductory Disability insurance plan?
A: A copy of the Certificate of insurance may be downloaded at CTAMemberBenefits.org/Disability.
1 CTA Introductory Disability insurance available to eligible new educators starting work on or after 7/1/2020 who become CTA members for the first time within 90 days of their first day of work. Disability insurance eligibility requirements apply.
Special Enrollment Opportunity for Your Association
A Chapter Campaign is a great way to give all eligible members of your association a chance to enroll in Disability and Life insurance without having to provide proof of good health.
All campaigns start on either the 1st or 15th of the month and typically last for 30 days. If your association meets its Disability Insurance application goal during that time period, all eligible members who apply will get coverage. Plus, eligible members will have a special chance to get Life insurance coverage.
Local chapters are usually eligible to hold a special enrollment campaign once every two to three years. To find out when your chapter is eligible, contact your dedicated CTA Benefits Consultant.
|Service Center Councils||CTA Benefits Consultants|
|Alcosta, Golden Gate, Redwood, Santa Clara||Sophie Imbuelten
|Capital, Chico, Delta, Feather River,
Merced/Mariposa, Shasta Cascade, Stanislaus
|High Desert, San Gorgonio,
Service Center One, Southeastern
|Bay Valley, Imperial County, Orange, San Diego||Rollie Myrold
|Central Coast, Channel Islands, Fresno/Madera, Sierra, Tulare/Kings||Yvette Steptoe
Special Enrollment Opportunity for Members making big life changes
We all make changes in our personal lives during our working years – getting married or having children are a couple examples of changes that mean taking on more responsibility. Often, those new responsibilities include reevaluating your insurance and making sure you’re adequately covered.
You and your colleagues are entitled, as CTA members, to start new CTA Disability and/or Life Insurance coverage (up to $200,000) and up to $30,000 of Dependents Life Insurance when you experience a change in your family status. As long as you apply within 60 days of a qualifying change, you won’t have to answer any health questions as part of your application. And if you already have CTA Life Insurance with The Standard, a family status change means you can increase the amount of your Life Insurance to a total of $200,000.
Complete list of eligible family status changes:
- Your marriage, divorce, or legal separation, or initiation or dissolution of your Domestic Partner relationship
- The birth of your Child
- The adoption of a Child by you
- The death of your Spouse/Domestic Partner and/or Child
- The commencement or termination of your Spouse/Domestic Partner's employment
- A change in employment from full-time to part-time by you or your Spouse/Domestic Partner
Members can learn more and apply for coverage standard.com/cta/fsc.
Special Enrollment Opportunity for District Transfers
Educators who switched to a new district have a special opportunity to enroll in CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability and Life insurance plans without answering health questions when applying for coverage within 270 days of starting work at the new district. Members already enrolled in CTA-endorsed plans can continue their coverage at the current level during this opportunity or choose to add or change coverage to options offered below.
Here’s what this exclusive enrollment opportunity offers:
- Voluntary Disability insurance coverage for members
- Up to $200,000 of Life insurance1 for members
- Up to $30,000 of Life insurance for spouse/domestic partner1,2
- $5,000 of Life insurance for each dependent child1,2
Members must apply within 270 days of starting work at the new district to take advantage of this special enrollment opportunity.
Members can learn more at standard.com/cta/newhire.
1 Coverage reduces to 65% of the amount in force at age 70, 45% of the amount in force at age 75 and 30% of the amount in force at age 80. Offer not available to retirees.
2 The amount of Life insurance for each dependent including spouse/domestic partner may not exceed 50% of member Life insurance coverage.