1B Newly Hired Educators
Congratulations! You may be eligible for CTA Introductory Disability Insurance for 9 months at no cost to you.
If you became a CTA member for the first time within 90 days of starting work and met eligibility requirements below, you are automatically enrolled in CTA Introductory Disability coverage for 9 months.
To continue your coverage past 9 months, you must apply for CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability coverage before the end of your Introductory coverage period. Apply Now
CTA Introductory Disability Insurance for Newly Hired Educators
In these uncertain times, CTA membership makes more sense than ever. CTA provides eligible newly hired educators with 9 months of CTA Introductory Disability insurance at no cost to you, when you join CTA for the first time within 90 days of your first day of work.1
With disability benefits paid directly to you, this quality coverage from The Standard helps protect up to 75% of your regular daily contract salary if you’re unable to work due to illness, injury, pregnancy or childbirth.
CTA Introductory Disability Insurance Eligibility Requirements:
- You became a CTA member for the first time within 90 days of your first day of work.
- You started work on or after 7/1/2020.
- You work an average of at least 15 hours per week.
- You have an annual contract or equivalent with your employer.
- You are not a full-time member of the armed forces.
- You did not transfer districts this school year.
If you meet the requirements, your CTA Introductory Disability Insurance coverage automatically starts on the later of: the first day of work or the date you sign your CTA membership application.
Continue your Disability Insurance Coverage
To ensure you don’t experience gaps in coverage, you can apply to convert your CTA Introductory Disability insurance to CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance before the end of the 9-month coverage period with no health questions asked.
Apply any time before the end of the CTA Introductory Disability coverage period. Your payroll deductions for Voluntary coverage will automatically start when your CTA Introductory Disability period ends.
Add Life Insurance Coverage
Newly hired CTA members also have a limited-time opportunity to add CTA-endorsed Life insurance for themselves, their spouse/domestic partner and dependents without answering any health questions. All you have to do is apply within 270 days of starting work. Available coverage options:3
- Up to $200,000 of coverage for yourself
- Up to $30,000 of coverage for spouse/domestic partner4
- $5,000 of coverage for each dependent child4
CTA-endorsed Life insurance comes with access to Life Services Toolkit and Travel Assistance – see Life Insurance tab for details.
Don’t miss your opportunity to continue your Disability insurance coverage and/or add Life insurance coverage without answering health questions.
1 CTA Introductory Disability insurance available to eligible new educators starting work on or after 7/1/2020 who become CTA members for the first time within 90 days of their first day of work. Disability insurance eligibility requirements apply. You must be an active employee who (1) has an annual contract with an employer, or the equivalent, as agreed to by The Standard and CTA; (2) is a member in good standing of CTA; (3) is a citizen or resident of the United States or Canada; and (4) is scheduled to work an average of at least 15 hours a week over a four-week period, or during your period of employment if less than four weeks. You must not be: (1) a student member of CTA; (2) a non-member of CTA; (3) a CTA Education Support Professional (CTA ESP) member of CTA; (4) a retired member of CTA; (5) a full time member of the armed forces of any country.
2 Student Loan Benefit and Cancer Benefit are offered by CTA to eligible members on approved Disability claims under the CTA-endorsed Disability Insurance plans who meet specific criteria. CTA provides these self-funded benefits, and The Standard acts only as the claims administrator of these benefits. Student Loan and Cancer Benefits are not provided under the Disability Insurance policy.
3 Coverage reduces to 65% of the amount in force at age 70, 45% of the amount in force at age 75 and 30% of the amount in force at age 80. Offer not available to retirees.
4 The amount of Life insurance for each dependent including spouse/domestic partner may not exceed 50% of your Life insurance coverage.
For costs and further details of the coverage offered by Standard Insurance Company, including the exclusions, any reductions, benefit waiting periods or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please view the sample Disability Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description for educators or Life Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description.
Protect Your Paycheck with Disability Insurance
Your income is likely your greatest asset. CTA knows that new educators are more likely to not have enough sick leave or savings to cover expenses if illness, injury, pregnancy or childbirth prevents them from working. This is why CTA now provides eligible members with 9 months of CTA Introductory Disability insurance at no cost to them.
CTA Introductory Disability insurance has the same plan design as CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability Insurance and includes the same key features:
- Protects up to 75% of your contract salary
- Has a short preexisting condition exclusion period of just 10 workdays
- Covers disabilities that occur on or off the job
- Includes additional Student Loan and Cancer Benefits1
- Supported by a dedicated CTA Customer Service team at The Standard
- Access to CTA Advisory Panel on Endorsed Services
Student Loan and Cancer Benefits1
These benefits are paid in addition to the disability benefits from The Standard directly to CTA members to help pay for everyday expenses like student loans, rent/mortgage or childcare. Details below:
- Student Loan Benefit: Active CTA members approved for a Disability claim with a disability date on or after September 1, 2018 under the CTA-endorsed Disability Insurance plans with The Standard with an active Student Loan may be eligible for an additional benefit of up to $200 per month while you remain disabled (maximum benefit $1,000) in addition to their Disability benefit from The Standard. Benefits are paid directly to you and can be used to help make your student loan payments.
- Cancer Benefit: Active CTA members approved for a Disability claim due to Cancer with a disability date on or after September 1, 2018 under the CTA-endorsed Disability Insurance plans with The Standard may be eligible for an additional benefit of up to $200 per month while you remain disabled (maximum benefit $1,000) in addition to their disability benefit from The Standard. These new benefits are paid directly to you and can be used for everyday expenses that health insurance doesn’t cover such as rent/mortgage, utilities, groceries or child care.
Protect Your Loved Ones with Life Insurance
Life Insurance is a key part of any financial plan. CTA-endorsed Life Insurance from The Standard gives you assurance that your family will receive some financial assistance in the event of a death. But coverage under the CTA-endorsed Life policy does more than help protect your family from financial hardship after a loss. Insured participants have access to the Life Services Toolkit and Travel Assistance program, which offer additional services that can make a difference now and in the future.
CTA-endorsed Life Insurance Highlights
- Matching AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) benefits (up to $200,000).
- Life Services Toolkit – Online tools and services can help insured members create a will, make advance funeral plans and put finances in order. After a loss, beneficiaries can consult experts by phone or in person, and obtain other helpful information online.1
- Travel Assistance provides insured members and their families access to a comprehensive range of professional, 24-hour medical, legal and trip assistance information, as well as referral and coordination services. This worldwide assistance service is available to plan participants whenever they are traveling 100 miles or more from home or when traveling in a foreign country for trips up to 180 days.2
1 The Life Services Toolkit is provided through an arrangement with Morneau Shepell and is not affiliated with The Standard. Morneau Shepell is solely responsible for providing and administering the included service. This service is not an insurance product. The Life Services Toolkit is not available to Life insurance beneficiaries who are minors or non-individual entities such as trusts, estates or charities.
2 Travel Assistance is provided through an arrangement with Assist America, Inc. and is not affiliated with The Standard. Travel Assistance is subject to the terms and conditions, including exclusions and limitations of the Travel Assistance Program Description. Assist America, Inc. is solely responsible for providing and administering the included service. Travel Assistance is not an insurance product. This service is only available while insured under The Standard’s group policy. Spouses and children traveling on business for their employers are not eligible to access these services during those trips.
For costs and further details of the coverage offered by Standard Insurance Company, including the exclusions, any reductions, benefit waiting periods or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please view the sample Life Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description.
Text [node:field-text-code] to 74050 to sign up for text reminders about your enrollment.1
Meet with The Standard
Ask questions or get help applying in an individual virtual appointment.
Calculate Your Needs
We are here to help from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Monday through Friday