Newly Hired Educators & ESPs - 1AB
Become a CTA member to get 9 months of CTA Introductory Disability insurance at no cost to you.1
To join CTA, visit CTA.org/join.
Special Enrollment Opportunity for New Hires
When you join CTA, you get access to many great benefits including CTA-endorsed Disability and Life insurance plans. If you are new to your district you may also be eligible for a special enrollment opportunity.
- Disability insurance helps protect your paycheck if you are unable to work due to an illness (including conditions caused by mental health disorders and substance abuse), injury, pregnancy or childbirth. Disability benefits are paid directly to you to use for everyday expenses like rent/mortgage, groceries and student loans.
- Life insurance helps protect your loved ones in the event of your passing. You also get additional features you can benefit from now, and in the future, at no additional cost.
Become a CTA member to get access to these offers:
- Brand new2 educators and education support professionals who join CTA for the first time between 7/1/2021 - 6/30/2022 can get 9 months of CTA Introductory Disability insurance at no cost to them.1
- If you aren't brand new, but are new to your district, you may still be eligible to apply for CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance and up to $200,000 of CTA-endorsed Voluntary Life insurance3 without answering health questions. You must be a CTA member first and apply for coverage with The Standard within 270 days of starting work at the new district.
For more information on becoming a CTA member, visit CTA.org/join.
1 CTA Introductory Disability insurance available to eligible brand new2 educators and education support professionals who become CTA members for the first time between 7/1/2021 - 6/30/2022. Disability insurance eligibility requirements apply. You must be an active employee who (1) has an annual contract with an employer, or the equivalent, as agreed to by The Standard and CTA; (2) is a member in good standing of CTA; (3) is a citizen or resident of the United States or Canada; and (4) is scheduled to work an average of at least 15 hours a week over a four-week period, or during your period of employment if less than four weeks. You must not be: (1) a student member of CTA; (2) a non-member of CTA; (3) a retired member of CTA; (4) a full time member of the armed forces of any country.
2 Brand New is defined as an educator or education support professional who has not previously worked in education in the state of California and has never been a CTA member previously. Your first employment record in CTA’s membership database must be no greater than 180 days prior to your CTA membership start date.
3 Coverage reduces to 65% of the amount in force at age 70, 45% of the amount in force at age 75 and 30% of the amount in force at age 80. Offer not available to retirees.
For costs and further details of the coverage offered by Standard Insurance Company, including the exclusions, any reductions, benefit waiting periods or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please view the sample Disability Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description for educators or Life Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description.
Protect Your Paycheck with Disability Insurance
Your income is likely your greatest asset. Disability insurance can help protect your paycheck if you aren’t able to work due to illness, injuries, pregnancy or childbirth. The benefits are paid directly to you and can be used to pay expenses that medical insurance doesn’t cover — like rent or mortgage, utilities, groceries, child care or other bills.
CTA-endorsed Disability Insurance Highlights:
- Protects up to 75% of your contract salary
- Has a short preexisting condition exclusion period of just 10 workdays
- Covers disabilities that occur on or off the job
- Includes additional Student Loan and Cancer Benefits1
- Includes $50,000 of Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage
- Supported by a dedicated CTA Customer Service team at The Standard
- Access to CTA Advisory Panel on Endorsed Services
Student Loan and Cancer Benefits1
These benefits are paid in addition to the disability benefits from The Standard directly to CTA members to help pay for everyday expenses like student loans, rent/mortgage or childcare. Details below:
- Student Loan Benefit: Active CTA members approved for a disability claim under the CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance plans with an active student loan may be eligible for an additional benefit of up to $400 a month (for a maximum of $2,400, not to exceed the balance of the student loan).
- Cancer Benefit: Active CTA members approved for a disability claim due to cancer under the CTA-endorsed Voluntary Disability insurance plans may be eligible for an additional benefit of up to $200 a month (for a maximum of $1,000).
1 Student Loan Benefit and Cancer Benefit are offered to eligible members on approved Disability claims under the CTA-endorsed Disability Insurance plans who meet specific criteria.
For costs and further details of the coverage offered by Standard Insurance Company, including the exclusions, any reductions, benefit waiting periods or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please view the sample Disability Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description for educators.
Protect Your Loved Ones with Life Insurance
Life insurance is a key part of any financial plan. CTA-endorsed Life insurance from The Standard gives you assurance that your loved ones will receive some financial assistance in the event of a death. But coverage under the CTA-endorsed Life policy does more than help protect your loved ones from financial hardship after a loss. Insured participants have access to the Life Services Toolkit and Travel Assistance program, which offer additional services that can make a difference now and in the future.
CTA-endorsed Life Insurance Highlights
- Matching AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) benefits (up to $200,000).
- Life Services Toolkit – Online tools and services can help insured members create a will, make advance funeral plans and put finances in order. After a loss, beneficiaries have access to grief counseling and legal advice and can obtain other helpful information online.1
- Travel Assistance provides insured members and their families access to a comprehensive range of professional, 24-hour medical, legal and trip assistance information, as well as referral and coordination services. This worldwide assistance service is available to plan participants whenever they are traveling 100 miles or more from home or when traveling in a foreign country for trips up to 180 days.1
1 Travel Assistance and Life Services Toolkit are provided through an arrangement with service partners that are not affiliated with The Standard. These services are not insurance products.
For costs and further details of the coverage offered by Standard Insurance Company, including the exclusions, any reductions, benefit waiting periods or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, please view the sample Life Insurance Certificate and Summary Plan Description.
Text [node:field-text-code] to 74050 to sign up for text reminders about your enrollment.*
Meet with The Standard
Get help enrolling in benefits in an individual virtual appointment.
Calculate Your Needs
We are here to help from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Monday through Friday